Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fat Shaming

Alright people, I'm going to take a break from writing about hikes this week.  There's something I've been seeing lately that I'm just not ok with... and it's time we talked about it!

Have you heard of "Fat Shaming?"

Basically, it's where people make comments publicly  through YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or in the case of Hollywood stars, magazines and on TV-- calling people names or saying rude things to them because they're fat.



Courtesy: Just Jared
Kim Kardashian has been in the news lately, being fat shamed by the media because she's gained weight during her pregnancy.  Now, she may not be your favorite person in the world-- and that's ok.  But no one, I repeat NO ONE deserves to be treated with disrespect because of their weight.

Courtesy: The Huffington Post
On Friday model Helena Christensen came to Kim's defense, writing the statement I posted above.  She called it "Disgusting and despicable the way that certain media constantly harass the pregant Kim Kardashian."  You can read more about the controversy here.



Then on Monday, a friend of mine posted the video above on Facebook.  It's a girl responding to some internet comments on her blog.  Basically, people called her a slough of names because she is fat.  Her response is wonderful, and oh so appropriate.  You can read more of Rebecca's posts, at Upworthy.com.  

These two stories are just mere examples of the "fat shaming" that goes on in this country.  And my question is why?  WHY? Why do people think it's ok to make others feel bad about themselves because of the way they are built.

I understand that obesity is a problem in this country, but it's not going to get better by making people feel bad about their bodies.  Speaking from experience, it only makes it worse!  And besides that, it's not ok.  AT ALL!  Who are you to tell someone they're fat?  Or call them a slob or lazy?  It's just wrong to me that we keep doing this to each other.  Whatever happened to supporting each other?  

It's no wonder to me, that there's a body image problem in this country!  We, as women mainly, are made to feel bad about ourselves if we don't look a certain way.  And that makes us feel worse, which for some of us (this girl right here) makes us eat to compensate for the way that we feel.

But there is another way, ladies.  If you're tired of feeling bad.  You can a.) accept your body for what it is, and be proud of who you are. Or b.) you can change it.    You and you alone hold the power to change your image, because it starts with you.  I'm hoping to share my story of working on my body image with you, I'm not quite there yet... but when I get there, I want to share it with you.

Have you heard of "fat shaming?"  Have you ever experienced it?  What do you think of this latest negative phenomena?

2 comments:

  1. <3 Your friend who posted the video is awesome, and you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharayah! It's pretty awesome and inspiring when someone can put themselves out there like that! I hope I can get that confident one day :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...