Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Banana-Berry Popsicles

Summer is upon us!  And to me, that means only one thing:  people will no longer stare at me while I enjoy my frozen treats.  I'm a lover of all things sweet and frozen: Popsicles and Ice Cream are on the top of that list.  And there's nothing better than making your own popsicles.


I've been squirreling away recipes to make my own for years,  seriously I have half a binder full of them-- and my Pintrest page is loaded with recipes.  But the one I'm going to share with you today is one I tried last year and fell in love with.  It's from "Cooking Light"




The original recipe called for vanilla yogurt and strawberries, but I didn't have those on hand so here's what I came up with:

3 Cups of Blueberries (or whatever you have)
1/2 Cup of Honey
2 Bananas
1 1/2 Cups of Greek Yogurt (or whatever you have)
1 1/4 tsp Vanilla

Put the berries and the honey in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Once the berries are done, drain them into a bowl and use a spoon or a spatula to squeeze out the juice and pulp.  Discard the solids, then cover and chill the juice for 30 minutes.  While the juice chills: take bananas, yogurt and vanilla and blend in a food processor until smooth.  Pour juice and yogurt mixture into molds, alternating between the two.  Top with lids and freeze for 8 hours.


This recipe makes 12 delicious popsicles.  You can make this recipe with any kind of berries and yogurt mixture you like.  I even bet pudding would work... next time I'm going to try strawberries and chocolate pudding... YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...