Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Day in Long Beach, WA

I don't know about you, but I've been itching lately, to go to the beach.  We live about an hour and a half, 2 hours on a bad traffic day from the Oregon Coast, which means beach day trips were a regular occurrence during my childhood....


I've tried to make beach trips something Jason and I do on a regular basis-- but, we haven't been since last year.  Last YEAR!!!  Can you believe it??!!??!!  So, until we can make it to the beach for a day of fun-- I want to regale you with one of our trips a few years ago.




When Jason first moved up to Portland, I was working overnights-- which meant we didn't get to see each other very much.  Because of that, we started "Adventure Sunday" in an effort to set aside one day to spend together.  Our first trip was to Long Beach, Washington-- a town just north of the Oregon-Washington boarder.


We walked on the beach, played some arcade games, grabbed some dinner and even visited with Jake the Alligator Man.  It was the perfect, gray Northwest Day at the beach.


As we made our way home, we even stopped off at Cape Disappointment-- which wasn't disappointing at all!  We wandered around a lighthouse, and got to see the incredible view of the ocean and where the Columbia river meets it.


I chose Long Beach, Washington for a few reasons.  First, I hadn't been there since High School when the women in my family did a Quilting Weekend.  Second, Jason has a strong hatred of Washington that stems from some not-so great childhood memories, and I wanted to show him that the Evergreen State was not so bad.  And third,  Long Beach is home to some interesting gems like Jake the Alligator man-- whom you've already met.  It's a pretty quirky place, and if you've never been-- I say take some time and check it out.  August is a pretty fun time to go too, because they have the International Kite Festival.  I'll post more on that later.

Have you ever been to Long Beach?  What's you're favorite attraction, or memory from your visit?  Is there another spot on the Washington Coast that you like better?  Share your feed back in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...