Friday, April 3, 2015

Lemon Chicken Soup

Spring has sprung!  And to me that means sunshine, flowers, and the beginning of the fresh fruit and vegetable season.  Jason and I are working on starting our own vegetable and herb garden-- more on that later-- and that will soon mean lots of delicious recipes riddled with vegetables, herbs and hopefully fruit.



That brings me to my reason for this post.  I love sharing the delicious recipes I've found all over the internet, and this one certainly evokes the feeling of spring whenever I eat it.


Lemony Chicken & Spring Vegetable Soup

Tablespoons of Butter
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 Leek, quartered and sliced
2 Carrots, pealed and diced small
2 Cloves of Garlic, diced or pressed through a garlic press
Salt
Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon of Herbs de Provence (Fancy!)
4 Cups of Chicken Stock
1 Cup of Peas, Fresh or Frozen
1 Cup of Diced Zucchini
2 Cooked Chicken Breasts, Shredded or Cubed
2 Teaspoons of Lemon Zest
2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice, fresh if possible
2 Cups of Cooked Quinoa

Heat butter and olive oil in a medium-large pot over medium heat.  Once melted, add in the leek and carrots, sweat for about 3 to 5 minutes.  Add in the garlic, cook until you can smell it.  Next add salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence and stir to combine.  Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.  Cover with lid and cook about 15 to 20 minutes.  Turn off heat and add peas, zucchini, chicken, lemon zest and juice and stir to combine.  Allow soup to sit about three minutes, then serve over quinoa,

I found the link to this recipe on Pinterest, and I love it!  It also re-heats nicely too-- which makes it a perfect option to bring to work on nights when I have to do the 10 P.M. show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...