Monday, October 21, 2013

The Wonderful Things About Water

Do you get enough water everyday?


For the past few weeks, I've been slacking on my water drinking-- and I've been feeling it.  Lethargic, Dehydrated, Irritable.... all could be traced back to the fact that I hadn't had enough water that day.

I'm a huge fan of water.   For as long as I can remember, I've always had more than my fair share of the wet stuff.  Many a person I've eaten out with has pointed it out, saying things like: "Man, you drink a lot of water!"  In my early 20's I had a sneaking suspicious that I might be diabetic, because I had heard that diabetics drink more water.... I don't remember why, so don't ask. :)   When I got tested for Insulin Resistance, and found out I had it-- my water cravings all started to make sense.


I made more of an effort to drink the right amount of fluids everyday.  Even now that I have lost the weight, and the Insulin Resistance-- I still make an effort to drink enough water.  Some days are better than others... but when I slack, I can definitely feel the difference.

How Much Water Should You Drink?

That varies from person to person.   The thought that you only need eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day has been discredited in several health studies.    If you weighed around 128-pounds... you would truly only need eight glasses of water a day.  The rest of us need a little more, or less.

Here's how you figure it out.  You need an ounce of water for every two pounds you weight.  So basically you need to take you're weight and divide it by two.  I'll use mine as an example:

313/2 =  156.5

So from the equation above, I need 156.5 ounces of water.  That's a little less than 20 8-ounce glasses of water every day.  To make it easier on myself, I drink out of a giant Nalgene bottle... which means I need five of them each day.  Not too bad, right?

Now according to About.com, if you eat a balanced, healthy diet-- 20% of your water will come from the foods that you eat.

Benefits of Drinking Water

In case you need some convincing to drink the right amount of water everyday....  let me give you a few examples of how water benefits your body

1. Water can help control calories.  Choosing water instead of soda or high-calorie/sugary drinks can keep your calorie count down-- helping you shed pounds.  Water-rich foots like leafy greens are also low in calories, and more filling.  Plus the vitamin benefits are stellar.

2. Water energizes your muscles.  According to WebMD, cells that don't maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue.  

3. Water helps keep skin looking good.  Your skin contains plenty of water, and functions as a protective barrier to prevent fluid loss.  Dehydration makes your skin look more dry and wrinkled, which can be improved with proper hydration.

Tips to Help You Stay Hydrated

So how do you stay hydrated throughout the day?  I have a few helpful tips for you!

  • Have a drink with every snack and meal
  • Eat More Fruits and Vegetables.  Their high water content will add to your hydration.
  • Keep a bottle of water with you in the car, at your desk or in your purse.

If you have a hard time remembering to drink up during the day, I found this next idea really helpful.

Courtesy: Postris.com
Buy yourself a few liter water bottles, and mark them with times of day.  Set yourself a goal to drink to each line by the specified time.  It could help you visualize how much you need to drink each day-- and help you meet that goal on a daily basis.

Do you have any tips or tricks to make sure you drink enough water each day?  Is there anything you drink instead of water that you find helps you stay hydrated?  Have you tried flavoring water with fruit if you're not a gung-ho fan like me?  I'd love to hear from you, leave your feedback in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...