Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Massive Backslide

Two weeks ago, I told you I was going to refocus on my goals.   I'd like to tell you that the moment I posted that blog-- I got off my keister, went to the gym, and put in a good workout.  But that would be a lie.

Truth is, I spent a lot of time in bed, eating nachos, and celebrating my friend's and cousin's children-to-be.  Let me clarify, not all of those activities were done from the comfort of my bed....  It was a fun time, but I could feel myself backsliding into some incredibly terrible old habits.  Oversleeping, overeating, not being active....  it was a terrible mess.


I didn't want to write anything on the old blog, because I was embarrassed by my new-found sloth-like tendencies.  And I was starting to feel like my weight loss updates were turning into excuses as to why I couldn't get my act together.

Well, guess what friends?  Last week, I finally got my act together!

First of all, we got rid of the TV in the bedroom.  We moved it into the bedroom after a 14 mile hike earlier this month-- so we could relax and have a fat day.  But, the TV wound up staying in the bedroom for another 3 weeks... and Jason and I went down the dangerous path to sloth-ville.

Our return to sloth-ville, reminded me why we downsized to one TV, strategically placed in the living room, in the first place.  It sucks all the energy out of the room.  Seriously.  I spent more nights awake, watching old episodes of The Office and New Girl, than I normally would have if the TV was in it's rightful place.

After moving the evil TV, Jason and I made more of an effort to get active.  On Tuesday and Wednesday, we went for walks with some friends.  On Friday, we went to Pilate's, Yoga and on a Walk.  I even started counting my calories again!

I feel incredible!  And I'd like to say, "I don't know why I ever got off the wagon."  But I do know why.  I got cocky.  I thought I could make it without counting calories, without working out on a regular basis, and by cheating on my nutrition goals just a little.  Except a little turned into a lot, and then I gained back 4 pounds.

Why is it when things are going well, we start to think we can go at it alone?  I didn't to this point by myself, and yet as soon as things started going well I started to think. "Pfff!  I don't need to count calories!" But I do need to.  It helps me keep myself in check, and stops me from going for round 2, 3,4, and 5 of the sweets at work.

I chalk it all up to the fact that this entire journey is a learning experience.  Trial and error.  And you know what, sports fans?  I've made it farther on this weigh-loss journey than on any other one I've tried to take.  Jason reminded me the other day, that one of my New Year's Resolutions was to lose 50 pounds.  I've lost 43 since the start of the year.  BOOM!

So here's to a successful week of exercise and healthy meal choices.  I'm hoping I can actually report a loss on Weigh in Wednesday.  We'll see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...